Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
I’m a family physician who loves to try new recipes. This tasty cold-weather soup has garnered many warm compliments from family and friends. They rave over it.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-3/4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white grape juice
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes, water, 3/4 teaspoon salt and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, cook and stir the pears and onion in butter over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in grape juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir into the sweet potato mixture. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, cover and puree soup in batches; return all to one of the pans. Stir in the cream, pepper and remaining salt; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 280 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 20, 2013
I know the poster said this was a tasty cold-weather soup, but I also found it excellent chilled. Perfect for a hot summer night.
Dec 26, 2011
Mmmmm - I said. My hubby needed a more substantial soup; he said the flavor was okay.