Cheddar Pear Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh pear slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 7-9 minutes. Stir in flour and paprika until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth. Add chopped pears; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until pears are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cheese and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. If desired, top with pear slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Feb 8, 2020
I made this for our Soup Contest at work and it was a winner! Everyone loved it and I shared the recipe with several folks that just had to have it. As a note, I used Bosc Pears since it didn't tell me what kind to use and they worked wonderfully. I am going to make it again this weekend for me since I only got one cup at the contest, but it was the best I've ever made. A nice Smokey Cheddar flavor with just enough sweetness from the pears made this just an incredible flavor like no other soup I've had.
Sep 28, 2019
Well this was a surprise! I made it because the man next door gave me a bag of pears from his tree that I was a bit overwhelmed by.... Anyway, super tasty with a mild sweet cheese flavour. Use coloured cheddar though or like mine, it will turn out yellow ??
Oct 1, 2017
This was an unexpected flavor combination with the pears and the cheddar and smoked paprika, but it's perfect for fall. Our family had it with some fresh bread and it was a great dinner on its own, but I think it would also be good as a side dish for a nicer dinner.