Cheddar Pear Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh pear slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 7-9 minutes. Stir in flour and paprika until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth. Add chopped pears; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until pears are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cheese and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. If desired, top with pear slices.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 938mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2017
This was an unexpected flavor combination with the pears and the cheddar and smoked paprika, but it's perfect for fall. Our family had it with some fresh bread and it was a great dinner on its own, but I think it would also be good as a side dish for a nicer dinner.