Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
Cauliflower is often last on the list of vegetables my family will eat, but they adore this creamy, savory soup with tender leeks and shredded cheddar cheese. Be sure to blend in batches and leave some space between the lid and the jar to allow steam to escape. —Kristin Rimkus, Snohomish, Washington
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks (white portion only)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Additional shredded sharp cheddar cheese and minced fresh thyme, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add leeks; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in cauliflower, thyme, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add evaporated milk and cheese; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, sprinkle each serving with additional cheese and thyme.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 146 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 643mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 reduced-fat milk.
Originally published as Cauliflower, Leek and Cheddar Cheese Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016