Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Dec 5, 2019
Amer, maybe a more polite approach would have been better to let other's know you didn't care for this soup. Joanie, thank you for sharing your recipe. I wanted something quick, easy, a soup, and something that would use the 1lb of ground beef I had thawing in the refrigerator for dinner. My husband is on a low FODMAP diet per his GI Dr. So I omitted the onion as that's high in FODMAPs and I added half the Velvetta cheese and substituted the rest with Cheddar Cheese. I also used beef stock vs chicken stock to amp up the beefiness. My husband loved it
Dec 3, 2019
My family absolutely loves this recipe!
Nov 15, 2019
Incredible soup! I cannot believe how good this is. I used leftover taco meat and something about those taco spices in the soup put this over the top!!!!!!
Nov 12, 2019
We love it, Thank you! I did make some adjustments... I only had shredded Mexican cheese on hand and beef broth so I used those instead of chicken broth and Velveeta. I also didn't add sour cream. My 4 kids from 13yrs-4yrs all loved it . We will make it again! Thank you!
Nov 7, 2019
family favorite!!! i use a whole pound of ground beef.
Nov 7, 2019
The best soup ever!
Oct 27, 2019
Love! Made a version for a soup contest and got 2nd. I would recommend sticking with the lower amount of Valveeta, adding a cup of pepper jack cheese, and adding nearly a cup of chicken broth.
Oct 21, 2019
I was really excited to make this soup after reading all the great reviews. I have to agree with the one review I read that said it was basically Hamburger Helper without noodles. Actually, I think Hamburger Helper tastes better then this. The only change I made was to add a some bacon at the end. My husband and I did not care for this at all.
Oct 17, 2019
This soup is awesome. I made a few changes because my husband likes a heartier soup. I doubled the burger, added bacon and used beef broth instead of chicken broth. It came out amazing! This is a keeper!!!
Oct 13, 2019
Made this recipe pretty much as written (except for no sour cream because I forgot to pick some up) even though I am not usually a fan of Velveeta. It was hearty and had a good, rich flavor that both my husband and I enjoyed. Definitely a keeper!!