Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta process cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 14, 2019
Delicious! Love it! Can it be frozen? I didn't think so.
Mar 9, 2019
1/4 cup sour cream
Mar 8, 2019
I was wondering if this soup can go in a crockpot?
Mar 5, 2019
Can anyone tell me how much sour cream? I've looked and can't find it in the list. I guess my seeing eye dog needs a seeing eye dog.
Mar 5, 2019
It tastes amazing and I have made it for family dinner for about three times and my family has loved it every time.
Mar 2, 2019
My husband gave this 5 stars. I made a double recipe and I changed it a bit. It went against my cooking history to leave the ground beef with no seasoning, so I added a little garlic powder when frying and then a little salt after frying. Then I used cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta Cheese. Next time, I will use a cup or two more cheese. I will definitely be making this in the future.
Feb 22, 2019
This Recipe is RE- kick starting my LUV for soups..based upon what I just read.. My mouth is really watering for this ONE..
Feb 9, 2019
Really enjoyed this, changed the cheese to cheddar and used 1% milk. Hubby really liked this. Will be definitely be making again.
Feb 8, 2019
Wow!!! I can see how this recipe got so many good reviews!! My neighbor made this soup and shared it with me. She followed the directions exactly ...... and I'm glad she did! I found this soup to me rich and flavorful with a nice consistency ...... and adding the sour cream at the end gives it a smooth and creamy texture. When I make this soup I just might add some cooked and crumbled bacon ..... other than that..... it's perfect!!
Feb 7, 2019
Made as directed. It was good, but not exceptional. I thought with all the 5 star reviews it would be better. Hubby loved it!