Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta process cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
I found this to be a bit on the heavy side for a soup. It had more of a stew look. But it was very tasty and made for a filling soup.
Nov 15, 2018
Try thickening soup with mashed potato flakes instead if flour. Thats how I thicken my potato soup and cream of broccoli soup and this one! I always keep an extra pouch or box of mashed potatoes for this . Then there is no flour taste.
Nov 9, 2018
This has become my families favorite soup. I did switch up the cheese mix a little. I used some Gruyere and aged Gouda along with Chedder and some shredded american cheese (it melts so well). I've made it three times and I have never had leftovers.
Nov 8, 2018
Made this for the first time last week and it was absolutely delicious!! I doubled the recipe and it was gone in no time. I can't wait to take it to our next "soup supper" at my church. I will make sure to have copies of the recipe with me, as I am sure that there will be many requests for it.
Oct 1, 2018
Great recipe, but I think the skewers are a miss. I get the pickle and onion connection, but not this way.
May 5, 2018
I added a little relish...made it even more like a cheeseburger
Apr 2, 2018
I have been making this very versatile recipe for a couple decades. My favorite version is replacing the potatoes with cauliflower pulled apart in similar size pieces with the stems cut up also, I chop up fresh parsley(1/4 to 1/2 cup), real cheddar instead of Velveeta, replace burger with cubed ham but just as good without meat at all.
Mar 21, 2018
So full of flavor! I double the amount of cheese, onions and hamburger...
Mar 5, 2018
Adding the given 3/4 t of salt is crazy!!!! In just the Velveeta & 3 cups of the lowest sodium chicken broth, there is at least 7500 mg. of sodium. *smh*
Feb 26, 2018
Absolutely delicious!!! Perfect snow day recipe.