Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta process cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 19, 2019
it seems that recipes on the internet are getting sloppy. Why would you mention at the end to add the sour cream and yet it was never mentioned as an ingredient?
Jan 18, 2019
Flexible! I skipped the carrots and celery cause I’m not a fan of those flavours and opted for mushrooms and broccoli instead. I used duck fat in lieu of butter and duck stock in lieu of chicken because that’s what I have. I used whatever cheese was in my fridge: left over taco mix and cheddar. It was still delicious! I love a recipe that’s easy to adapt. Thank you!
Jan 13, 2019
I love this soup! I like to add some chopped up dill pickle spears. Really makes it taste like a cheeseburger!
Jan 13, 2019
This soup is amazing! We have leftovers in the frig right now. You can double easily for a crowd. I threw in a couple of handfuls of elbow macaroni, also. I got it from my daughter's friend, Jill. I sometimes pre-make the first part, waiting on adding the potatoes, until serving day. Most of the prep work is done that way and you bring up to a boil, throw in potatoes, finish with the cheese, milk, etc! Excellent!!
Jan 6, 2019
I made this for a girls/cousins get together yesterday. There was also chili, some spicy chicken taco soup and some corn chowder....this was the biggest hit
Jan 5, 2019
We've loved this soup! My husband who is not a soup fan raves over this recipe and he and our 12 year old will play fight for the leftovers! This makes a very generous helping. Oh it's even better the next couple days as leftovers. Warms up great!
Dec 30, 2018
This is a great base for any type of cheese soup! I didn't have all of the vegetable ingredients to add, but I did have a bag of frozen broccoli, so I decided to mit the veggies in the recipe and instead make a Broccoli and cheese hamburger soup! It really was delicious and made plenty for everyone!
Dec 29, 2018
Always enough to share with somone else!!
Dec 23, 2018
My family absolutely loves this soup! Perfect for cold winter days. It's very hearty and filling.
Dec 16, 2018
The broth was excellent, but it seemed more like a cheesy potato soup than cheeseburger. We’ll enjoy this soup anyway, and I’ll make this again, but next time I’ll double the meat and cut back on the potatoes to make it more ’cheeseburgery’