Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta process cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
May 5, 2018
I added a little relish...made it even more like a cheeseburger
Apr 2, 2018
I have been making this very versatile recipe for a couple decades. My favorite version is replacing the potatoes with cauliflower pulled apart in similar size pieces with the stems cut up also, I chop up fresh parsley(1/4 to 1/2 cup), real cheddar instead of Velveeta, replace burger with cubed ham but just as good without meat at all.
Mar 21, 2018
So full of flavor! I double the amount of cheese, onions and hamburger...
Mar 5, 2018
Adding the given 3/4 t of salt is crazy!!!! In just the Velveeta & 3 cups of the lowest sodium chicken broth, there is at least 7500 mg. of sodium. *smh*
Feb 26, 2018
Absolutely delicious!!! Perfect snow day recipe.
Feb 23, 2018
This is one of our favorite soups. So delicious! And if there are any leftovers, they are just as good if not better than the first time around!
Feb 20, 2018
This soup is one of our favorites! I make it often in the winter. If there are any leftovers, which is rare, I put it in individual servings in the freezer for a quick lunch. The only change I make is that I add a full pound of hamburger. The carrots, onions, and celery give the soup a great flavor. I thought the basil was different, but it is excellent in the soup. The amount of cheese is just right, as it is not overly cheesy. I will definitely keep making this soup!
Feb 11, 2018
This was a terrific dish. My entire family LOVED it. I used full pound of hamburger instead of 1/2 pound.
Feb 5, 2018
I loved it. Only used half the cheese and 2% milk.
Feb 4, 2018
I have been making this soup since it was first published in 1996. The only changes I make are to use a full pound of ground beef, and American cheese rather than Velveeta. I also sometimes add more chicken broth to thin it out a bit. Definite winner for my husband.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.