Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 10 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Oct 17, 2019
This soup is awesome. I made a few changes because my husband likes a heartier soup. I doubled the burger, added bacon and used beef broth instead of chicken broth. It came out amazing! This is a keeper!!!
Oct 13, 2019
Made this recipe pretty much as written (except for no sour cream because I forgot to pick some up) even though I am not usually a fan of Velveeta. It was hearty and had a good, rich flavor that both my husband and I enjoyed. Definitely a keeper!!
Oct 5, 2019
My family couldn't stop raving about this soup. I didn't have celery so I left it out. We will definitely make it again.
Oct 5, 2019
Loved this soup. The only thing different was I used chedder cheese and substituted noodles for the potatoes.
Jun 29, 2019
This cheeseburger soup is absolutely amazing. I first made this when my husband was doing chemo and radition treatments only thing he could eat even after his surgery he cant eat very well but this soup does the trick. I make it quite often and it jusy keeps getting better.
May 29, 2019
This is a family favourite
Apr 26, 2019
I love this soup! It's so cheesy and satisfying.
Apr 6, 2019
Loved it but used Cheddar instead of Velveeta.
Mar 31, 2019
I love this soup; its one of my favourites. I substitute ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef and I add garlic. I have used different types of cheese, but the Velvetta works well. These are just my own personal preferences. Turns out great every time, no matter what type of cheese I use.
Mar 24, 2019
Made this for our soup supper at church and everyone loved it!