A local restaurant serves a similar cheeseburger soup but wouldn't share its recipe with me. So I developed my own, modifying a recipe for potato soup. I was really pleased with the way this all-American treat turned out. —Joanie Shawhan, Madison, Wisconsin
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-3/4 pounds (about 4 cups) cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 4 cups shredded Velveeta process cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In same saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add potatoes, ground beef and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add flour; cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
1 cup: 450 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1421mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 6, 2019Loved it but used Cheddar instead of Velveeta.
Mar 31, 2019I love this soup; its one of my favourites. I substitute ground chicken or turkey for the ground beef and I add garlic. I have used different types of cheese, but the Velvetta works well. These are just my own personal preferences. Turns out great every time, no matter what type of cheese I use.
Mar 24, 2019Made this for our soup supper at church and everyone loved it!
Mar 22, 2019Made this in the crockpot and it turned out delicious! Instead of velveeta cheese I just used what I had in the fridge, half a block of habanero cheese and about 1/3 a small jar of cheese wiz. Left out the sour cream.
Mar 21, 2019love this soup. use tater tots bake nice and crispy and then cut them up and add to soup. Also add 1 tbsp. of Ketchup, yellow mustard and dill relish. I use sharp cheddar and American to the soup instead of velvetta. Everyone I give it to raves about this soup. Secert a half tsp of worchershire sauce.
Mar 14, 2019Delicious! Love it! Can it be frozen? I didn't think so.
Mar 9, 20191/4 cup sour cream
Mar 8, 2019I was wondering if this soup can go in a crockpot?
Mar 5, 2019Can anyone tell me how much sour cream? I've looked and can't find it in the list. I guess my seeing eye dog needs a seeing eye dog.
Mar 5, 2019It tastes amazing and I have made it for family dinner for about three times and my family has loved it every time.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC