Sweet Potato and Crab Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained
- Croutons, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; saute leeks and garlic until leeks are tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, cayenne and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream and 2 teaspoons thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add crab and the remaining salt and thyme; cook 5 minutes, stirring gently to combine. Top servings with crab mixture and, if desired, croutons.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 370 calories, 28g fat (18g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 994mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 30, 2020
When I first read the name, I was skeptical on how it could come together. I did omit the thyme and I stirred the crab meat right into it. Cut the recipe in half for the two of us giving us each two bowls. Was very simple to make and has a flavor making you want more. The cinnamon and cayenne pepper play very well off each other. Will definitely make this again, but a whole batch so I have some for later.