Cream of Crab Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 cups milk
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat or 3 cans (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional milk and parsley, optional
- Melt butter in a 3-qt. saucepan; stir in flour, seafood seasoning, salt and curry powder. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until mixture is hot (do not boil).
- Remove cartilage from crab if necessary. Add crab and parsley to soup; cook and stir just until crab is heated. If desired, thin soup with additional milk; garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 262 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 878mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 16g protein.
May 17, 2018
The old bay seasoning and curry overwhelmed the flavor of the crab. I had to use canned crab lumps. Was disappointed, the reviews were so good. Maybe I expect to much. Won't make again.
Aug 8, 2017
What exactly is seafood seasoning?
Jun 17, 2016
This soup is AMAZING. I created an account just so I could review it. I substituted seasoned flour for half the flour and deleted the salt. I can't wait for my husband to try it! Happy early Father's Day to him!
Jan 27, 2015
This was my first time making this soup. It was "SMACK YOUR MOMMA "good! I added a couple of things to make it my own, but awesome receipe.
Jun 15, 2014
STOP, HOLD THE PRESS . . . oh my goodness, this soup was the BEST. I plan on serving it at a dinner party. My 95 year old father-in-law thought it was wonderfult. My husband said "This soup is wicked!" (That means extremely good) . Praises to the person who shared with recipe. Thank you.
May 7, 2013
AMAZING!! It was my first attempt trying crab soup and it turned out great. I added about 1/4 cup of Sherry at the end and it was perfection!
Oct 31, 2012
My man has mentioned he would love oysters in this soup, sounds great!
Sep 8, 2012
Great tasting and easy to make.
Dec 12, 2010
This soup has a very good flavor. I used 6 ounce foil packets of crab instead of canned crab.
Mar 27, 2009
I LOVE THIS!!!I used Old Bay for the seaoning!!!~ Susan
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.