Salmon Sweet Potato Soup
I created this recipe as a healthier alternative to whitefish chowder, which is a favorite in the area where I grew up. The salmon and sweet potatoes boost the nutrition and the slow cooker makes it more convenient. It's especially comforting on a cold fall or winter day! —Matthew Hass, Franklin, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds salmon fillets, skin removed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the next seven ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until sweet potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- Stir in salmon, milk and parsley. Cook, covered, until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 30-40 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 279 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 834mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Salmon Sweet Potato Soup in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.