Bratwurst Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the bratwurst, potatoes, water, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups milk. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 288 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Jan 21, 2012
I used a can of beer instead of the 2c water. Made a big difference. Thought this was really good. Will for sure make again, next time with landjaegger sausage.
Oct 29, 2010
This recipe sounded so good, but I think it was a waste of my good bratwurst. I was disappointed.
Nov 11, 2008
I love this soup. It is my favorite. The swiss cheese is such a different flavor addition. And it is quick and easy.
Jan 26, 2008
This soup is yummy. It is our new favorite soup.