Bratwurst Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked bratwurst links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the bratwurst, potatoes, water, onion, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cabbage. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups milk. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 288 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2012
I used a can of beer instead of the 2c water. Made a big difference. Thought this was really good. Will for sure make again, next time with landjaegger sausage.
Oct 29, 2010
This recipe sounded so good, but I think it was a waste of my good bratwurst. I was disappointed.
Nov 11, 2008
I love this soup. It is my favorite. The swiss cheese is such a different flavor addition. And it is quick and easy.
Jan 26, 2008
This soup is yummy. It is our new favorite soup.