Hearty Baked Potato Soup
I got this recipe from my aunt, a great cook. Topped with bacon, cheese and chives, this soup tastes just like a loaded baked potato! My husband and I love to hunker down with bowls of it on chilly nights. — Molly Seidel, Edgewood, NM
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 5 pounds baking potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 13 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, crumbled cooked bacon and minced chives
- Place first seven ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are very tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mash potatoes slightly to break up and thicken soup. Add 1 cup cheese, cream and chives; heat through, stirring until blended. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 310 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Feb 27, 2017
The soup was very simple to put together. But after preparing it and tasting it my family and I prefer our potato soup with milk over the broth. I think this recipe would be great if the chicken broth was substituted with milk.