Hearty Baked Potato Soup
I got this recipe from my aunt, a great cook. Topped with bacon, cheese and chives, this soup tastes just like a loaded baked potato! My husband and I love to hunker down with bowls of it on chilly nights. — Molly Seidel, Edgewood, NM
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 5 pounds baking potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 13 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, crumbled cooked bacon and minced chives
- Place first seven ingredients in a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are very tender, 6-8 hours.
- Mash potatoes slightly to break up and thicken soup. Add 1 cup cheese, cream and chives; heat through, stirring until blended. Serve with toppings as desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 310 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 906mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Baked Potato Soup in Simple & Delicious February/March 2017
Feb 27, 2017
The soup was very simple to put together. But after preparing it and tasting it my family and I prefer our potato soup with milk over the broth. I think this recipe would be great if the chicken broth was substituted with milk.