Easy Baked Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 3 to 4 medium baking potatoes, baked
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 3-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and dice the baked potatoes; set aside. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons drippings.
- Add the soups, milk, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, pepper, Liquid Smoke if desired and reserved potatoes to the drippings.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream; cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with cheddar cheese and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 261 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 618mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 2, 2017
This soup is delicious! I took the advice of another reviewer and did not use the cheddar cheese soup, I used sharp shredded cheddar cheese instead. My husband and I both loved it.
Aug 6, 2015
Make this usually 2x per month. Family LOVES it! Works great in the crockpot. I like to make it ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator. Then put it in the crockpot for dinner.
Jan 22, 2014
This soup is absolutely delicious! I, too, added some bacon in the soup and saved some for the garnish. We love our bacon! I think this soup has as much flavor if not more than some restaurant potato soups! Will definitely make again!
Jan 17, 2014
Very easy to make and most of the ingredients are the kind that people often have on hand. I added the bacon to the soup toward the end of the cooking time and saved a few crumbles for the top garnish. I may tinker with this next time by adding some chives and maybe trying to make a white sauce with sharp cheddar cheese added rather than using the cheddar soup. There was a hint of a "processed" cheddar taste that I wasn't wild about and this might also reduce the sodium level as well. A little liquid smoke goes a long way; I heated the soup on low about an extra ten minutes to let the flavors blend a little more and it helped. I will definitely make this again!
Dec 18, 2013
This soup was great and easy to make. I bought real bacon pieces and added them to the soup and then added more on top with the cheese. It was delicious!
Mar 20, 2013
Made this for dinner tonight, and it lived up to the earlier reviews. Easy and tasty.
Feb 19, 2013
Great easy recipe for potato soup! I usually leave out the Worcestershire sauce and the liquid smoke... The bacon gives it enough of a smoky flavor for us. Great dinner served with a salad!
Jan 23, 2013
AWESOME..The whole family loved it!
Nov 24, 2012
This was so yummy if you like thick creamy soups!! Me and my husband love it!
Sep 7, 2012
Made this for the first time.......My family loved it! Served it with garlic bread......It was fantastic!! Doing this again and again!!