Slow-Cooked Potato Soup
"I make this thick soup for St. Patrick's Day, and we always look forward to it," says Mary Jo O'Brien of Hastings, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2-3/4 cups cubed peeled potatoes, divided
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Milk, optional
- Place 2 cups potatoes in a saucepan; add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat (do not drain). Mash potatoes; stir in butter.
- In a 1-1/2-qt. slow cooker, combine the ham, celery, onion, garlic powder, paprika, pepper and remaining cubed potatoes. Stir in mashed potatoes; top with cheese. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the sour cream until blended. Thin soup with milk if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 643 calories, 37g fat (22g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 1436mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Potato Soup in 2009 Cooking for 2 Newsletter
Nov 13, 2010
good soup, i top with chopped green onion, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. yummy!
Nov 29, 2009
This soup was very good. Rich texture with excellent flavor. I added some crumbled cooked bacon. A do over for sure!