Slow-Cooker Potato & Ham Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1 cup cubed deli ham
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Optional: Sour cream and chopped green onions
- In a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, combine broth, potatoes, onion and pepper. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Mash potatoes to desired consistency. Whisk in cream cheese until melted. Stir in ham and milk. Cook, covered, until heated through, 15-20 minutes longer. Serve with sour cream and green onions if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 257 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1053mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Jan 29, 2020
Great! Everyone in the fam was happy.
Feb 10, 2017
Very good! I added the bacon like suggested in a review. Great flavor!
Sep 26, 2016
Very easy and tasty! I used leftover baked ham and realized after I started it that I didn't have evaporated milk so I used half & half and it worked fine!
Feb 8, 2016
Changed the recipe just a little - added chopped celery and instead of deli ham, I used a ham steak (chopped). we thought it was great.
Jan 29, 2016
This was easy and tasty. I used whole milk instead of evaporated milk. I give it 4 stars as is because it would be too rich and one note. We added a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and it really rounded out the recipe and made it a complete meal.
Jun 2, 2015
This recipe was easy to make but I thought the flavor was a little more bland than I like. I probably will not make this again but will try another similar one. So many Taste of Home recipes to try, so little time!
May 13, 2014
Loved it and my friends loved it since I had them be the first to try it. Some suggested corn or even broccoli too.
Feb 12, 2014
I followed the recipe as stated the first time I made this and it was good. Hubby suggested a can of great northern beans (rinsed and drained) and my daughter suggested cooked and crumbled bacon. I added these to the recipe the next time I made it and these two additions made it even better and fed more people!! Love it!!
Jan 16, 2014
This soup was good and so easy to make!
Jan 9, 2014
I have made potato soup in the past, but this is the first time I used frozen hash browns, and boy, howdy, that made it so much easier. I added some canned baby peas, and omitted the sour cream and green onion. I used the low sodium broth, and found the taste was not compromised by the lack of salt. This will be a winner at our house, too.