Slow-Cooker Homemade Chicken and Rice Soup
Using the slow cooker takes some of the effort out of making from-scratch meals. The long cook time helps develop great homemade flavor in this Crock-Pot chicken and rice soup. —Kevin Bruckerhoff, Columbia, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 3 quarts water
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, place water, chicken, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cover and cook on low until chicken is tender, 6-7 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth; add chicken and remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high until vegetables and rice are tender, 1-2 hours. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.