Crab and Asparagus Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1-1/4 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) lump crabmeat, drained
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh parsley and cracked pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter. Stir in the flour, seafood seasoning, salt, pepper and nutmeg until blended; gradually add water and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in potatoes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add asparagus; cook 8-12 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the cream, crab and parsley; heat through. If desired, sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 257 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Nov 15, 2019
I made as per recipe w/o alteration or substitutions, but I doubled it (bc I had two containers of jumbo lump crab.) Excellent!! I paired w/ a German Riesling and crusty honey sunflower bread for dunking. Everyone raved! Will definitely make again!
Jun 25, 2019
I had asparagus and red potatoes I wanted to use up so I checked Taste of Home and found this soup. But I don't really care for seafood and I also had chicken I wanted to eat. So I added the chicken and changed the seafood seasoning to regular seasoning salt. Instead of half-and-half, I used heavy cream and sprinkled in onion and garlic salt to taste. Nobody missed the crab and the soup was a success!
May 3, 2019
4/25/2019 I made this soup for the first time. I'd used the ingredients I had available: regular YELLOW onion, chicken stock instead of bouillon and water, but I'd increased the amount of liquid to about 2-3 cups in small increments. I used 2 russet potatoes, cubed, and increased the amount of asparagus: to 1 lb. and the lump crabmeat to 1 lb. can. This soup is definitely a keeper recipe! Thank you for sharing!
Apr 29, 2019
I served this soup at Easter dinner. I prepared it the night before, so all I had to do was heat and serve. Will definitely be making this again.
Apr 17, 2019
This is great, hearty soup that comes together in about an hour, so it's perfect for a hectic week night. Instead of canned crab, I used frozen, and I substituted the water and bouillon with my own homemade seafood stock, which really gave it a robust chowder flavor. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written. It was fantastic! Perfect for a chilly, rainy evening relaxing at home or for a hearty filling dinner when you're on the go. Crab and asparagus are a great flavor combo!
Apr 9, 2019
I used fake lobster the first time. Plan to use the crab next time. I left out the salt because I thought the bouillon would make it too salty. Not true thanks to the potatoes. I added at the end.
Mar 24, 2019
My family loved this soup!! Next time I will add 2 cans crab meat.
Mar 18, 2019
Two ingredients I love, my husband wasn't thrilled with the asparagus. I will make this again and it's a great soup if you are on Keto.
Mar 18, 2019
Made this for dinner, yummy will make again!!!