Simple Asparagus Soup
My family and friends love this soup. It's elegant and unusual, but the hardest part of making it is occasional stirring. —Kathryn Labat, Raceland, Louisiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 55 min.
Makes12 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Reduced-fat sour cream, optional
- Salad croutons, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Stir in vegetables and seasonings; cook until vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in rice and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, 40-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pot and heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream and croutons. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight (soup may separate). In a saucepan, reheat to boiling, whisking until blended.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 79 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 401mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Asparagus Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.