Asparagus Soup with Herbs
The fresh flavor of herbs shines through in this special soup. Because it calls for frozen asparagus, you can make it any time of year.—Bev Smith, Ferndale, Washington
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen asparagus spears, thawed
- Sour cream and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the broth, parsley, carrot, basil, tarragon, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cut asparagus into 1-in. pieces; set tips aside. Add asparagus pieces to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender. Return to the saucepan. Stir in asparagus tips; cook for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Garnish with sour cream and tomatoes if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 114 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Asparagus Soup with Herbs in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004