Roasted Parsnip and Pear Soup
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Cook: 45 min.
Makes8 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place parsnips in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; toss with oil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Roast 25 minutes. Stir in pears; roast 15-20 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add leeks, celery and shallots; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsnip mixture, broth, maple syrup, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- For topping, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until pears are crisp-tender.
- Remove bay leaf from soup. Process soup in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Top servings with sliced pears.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 358 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 911mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein.
Nov 12, 2013
My girlfriend and I love this recipe. The flavor is very complex, but still smooth and comforting. I make it basically as shown, but with 1 lb of parsnips, and I use a glass baking dish to cook the parsnips in and haven't had any issues with time or temperature.
Dec 4, 2011
Good recipe. I did add extra spice to the soup...a pinch of cayenne and curry powder and extra pepper.
Dec 4, 2011
It seemed too sweet and was lacking flavor. Added additional fresh herbs and seasoning to resuce it but my guests still didn't enjoy it
Nov 26, 2011
After i blended it smooth i just popped it in a crock pot.Add the milk a few minutes before plateing.
Nov 6, 2011
We made this as a trial run as the app. course for Christmas dinner. It was quite good, sweet and savory. It was hearty so the serving sizes are small. Suggestions include turning down the heat of the oven. After 25 minutes of 425 deg heat, my parsnips were nearly burnt on the bottom. I turned the oven down to 350 when I added the pears and cut the time from 25 min. to 10, which was plenty.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.