Roasted Tomato and Pepper Soup
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, quartered and seeded
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick), crusts removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Place tomatoes and peppers, cut side down, in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Turn tomatoes and peppers; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until skins are blistered and blackened.
- Immediately place peppers and tomatoes in a large bowl; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Peel off and discard skins; coarsely chop tomatoes and peppers.
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. Add the garlic, cumin and coriander; saute 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and peppers. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the bread, vinegar, salt and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheese): 193 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 781mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 26, 2016
This soup is amazing! After roasting the tomatoes, I put them through my food mill to juice them and remove the seeds. I also reduced the amount of chicken broth to 16 oz. and balsamic vinegar to 1 1/2 teaspoons. The soup was so good and I can't wait to make it again!
Jun 24, 2015
Great soup!!! Thought about adding stuff, and maybe will next time, but a real hit with me as is! Good job!
Sep 14, 2012
Excellent! I used standard tomatoes out of the garden and worked perfect! The 2nd time I also added a handful of pasta the last 10 minutes of cooking. Both ways are great and willl put this recipe in my "go to" file for soup.