Roasted Tomato Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 large tomatoes, halved and seeded, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, trimmed
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 6 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 12 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- Tortilla chips
- Arrange six tomatoes cut side down on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Broil 4 in. from the heat until skin blisters, about 4 minutes. Cool slightly; drain well.
- In a food processor, process uncooked and roasted tomatoes in batches until chunky. Transfer all to a large bowl.
- Place the cilantro, lime juice, garlic, lime zest and remaining oil in the food processor. Cover and process until blended; add to tomatoes. Stir in the peppers, onions, cumin, paprika, chipotle pepper, salt and hot sauce. Let stand 1 hour to allow flavors to blend. Serve with chips.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup (calculated without chips): 27 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
Sep 28, 2016
This salsa is soooo good! I did cut the recipe back quite a bit since it's just the two of us and omitted the cilantro since it's not our favorite herb. The salsa was spicy and delicious and I can't wait to make it again!
Mar 3, 2013
I adjust the spices a bit because I don't like it quite so spicy but everyone raves about this salsa when I make it!
Oct 16, 2011
Best salsa recipe! It is well worth the time to make this. We enjoy it equally well on breakfast omelets.
Oct 12, 2011
Oh my! Oh my! This is INCREDIBLE!!!! The family loved it. I want to make this again and again and share it with everyone I love! I can't say more good things for this. It's lovely and spicy!
Aug 22, 2011
Loved this - it was easy and came out delicious. I left out the chili powder and cut the jalapenos based on my family's tastes. Also didn't have green onions so used a sweet onion.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.