Creamy Chunky Potato Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, onion, carrot, celery and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender; lightly mash.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into potato mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add parsley, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 283 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 599mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Jan 3, 2014
Used 2 cups of cheddar in place of the swiss and skipped the celery and carrots. It turned out great! Very hearty and simple to make. Everyone enjoyed it!
Mar 16, 2013
I made this for a family dinner and everyone liked it.
Jan 20, 2013
A friend of mine made this and it is awesome.....I am looking forward to making it tomorrow.......Its awesome.
Jan 20, 2012
I have made this soup many, many times. All of my family love it -- children, grandchildren and in-laws. It reminds me of my childhood.
Feb 26, 2010
This is really good. I need to make my dishes gluten-free now, so I used about 2 tbsp of cornstarch instead of the flour. I mix it in with the cold milk and butter and bring to a boil until it thickens. The Swiss cheese thickens the soup, too. Good topped with more Swiss or cheddar cheese. My kids like to eat this with Goldfish crackers. :) I usually add a potato or two depending on the size.
Oct 21, 2009
Wonderful comfort food! One of my family's favorite soups.
Jan 4, 2008
This sounds wonderful. It is in my recipe box.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.