Creamy Carrot & Tomato Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups peeled and shredded carrots (4 to 5 medium carrots)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Additional plain Greek yogurt, optional
- Additional torn fresh basil, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrots, chicken broth, basil and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomato juice. Pulse mixture in a blender until smooth.
- In another large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in tomato mixture, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt until blended. If desired, top with additional yogurt and basil.
- Freeze option: Before stirring in yogurt, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Stir in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and, if desired, add toppings before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 225 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 683mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 17, 2018
Just made it. Simply AWESOME !! DELICIOUS !! Perfect with/without the addition of yogurt. Thank you for sharing.
Jan 16, 2018
Enjoyed it on this cold day! I don't have a blender, so I had to scoop the vegetables into the food processor (minus the broth and before adding the tomato juice) and then back. I melted the butter in a small bowl in the microwave, added the flour, and whisked in some of the hot soup, then put it back in in order not to dirty up another large pan...seemed to be fine.
Feb 19, 2017
Really bright flavor and creamy texture! I appreciate that it's a creamy soup without needing heavy cream.
Feb 1, 2017
It was very good, the yogurt really toned down the tomato flavour. I didn't add the flour, it was really thick after l blended it. Lovely colour. A very nice starter for dinner. Janet. VFE
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.