Fennel Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add carrots, sweet potato and apple; cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, rice, bay leaf and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are soft.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 989mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 27, 2010
Soup is very light, so one would need to add another dish to the menu. As soon as I make it I did not like it (it may be just me). However, trying it next day I loved it, and my friend loved it too.