Fennel Carrot Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add carrots, sweet potato and apple; cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, rice, bay leaf and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are soft.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 989mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Apr 27, 2010
Soup is very light, so one would need to add another dish to the menu. As soon as I make it I did not like it (it may be just me). However, trying it next day I loved it, and my friend loved it too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.