Carrot Ginger Soup
This light, flavorful carrot ginger soup is vegan! It's made with pantry staples and comes together in a hurry, yet always seems to impress. Fresh ginger makes a big difference—and what isn't used can be wrapped tightly and tossed in the freezer to use later. —Jenna Olson, Manchester, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender,4-5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrots, broth, zest, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes. Pulse mixture in a blender or with an immersion blender until desired consistency; stir in lemon juice. If desired, garnish with additional lemon zest.
- Freeze option: Cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts: 80 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Carrot Lemon Soup with Ginger in Fast Track 2019