Sweet Potato Cobbler
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in water until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid. Layer potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add reserved liquid. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle over potatoes. Dot with butter.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. On a floured surface, roll pastry into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place over filling; cut slits in top. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Spoon into dishes; top with whipped cream if desired.
Nov 26, 2013
I used to make a sweet potato cobbler but lost the recipe probably 15 years ago. I have to say that I like this recipe better. I was in a hurry and accidentally mixed the sugar into the crust instead of sprinkling it on top. What an outstanding mistake! I will make this again.
Oct 2, 2011
excellent just like my mom use to make,lost her recipe over the years,glad I found this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.