Tomato-Garlic Lentil Bowls
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- Optional: Chopped tomatoes and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in lentils, seasonings and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and tomato paste; heat through. Serve with yogurt and, if desired, tomatoes and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 294 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Feb 13, 2018
I was a little scared about the ground ginger, but I followed the recipe and glad I did! However I did add the tomato paste with the rest of the herbs so it could cook with the lentils. I served it with Greek yogurt and pico de gallo. Very good recipe.
Jan 25, 2017
We have these lentil bowls a lot. They make fantastic workday lunches, too. I like to add cumin along with the other spices, and the tomatoes and cilantro are musts on top!