Tomato-Garlic Lentil Bowls
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- Chopped tomatoes and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in lentils, seasonings and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and tomato paste; heat through. Serve with yogurt and, if desired, tomatoes and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 294 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Feb 13, 2018
I was a little scared about the ground ginger, but I followed the recipe and glad I did! However I did add the tomato paste with the rest of the herbs so it could cook with the lentils. I served it with Greek yogurt and pico de gallo. Very good recipe.
Jan 25, 2017
We have these lentil bowls a lot. They make fantastic workday lunches, too. I like to add cumin along with the other spices, and the tomatoes and cilantro are musts on top!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.