Black Bean & Sweet Potato Rice Bowls
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale (tough stems removed)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Lime wedges, optional
- Additional sweet chili sauce, optional
- Place rice, garlic salt and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; saute sweet potato 8 minutes. Add onion; cook and stir until potato is tender, 4-6 minutes. Add kale; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in beans; heat through.
- Gently stir 2 tablespoons chili sauce and remaining oil into rice; add to potato mixture. If desired, serve with lime wedges and additional chili sauce.
Nutrition Facts2 cups: 435 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 405mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 8g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 25, 2018
I added 2 cloves of minced garlic and some shredded chicken to this for a one dish meal and it was very good.
Jan 2, 2017
A perfect meatless weeknight dinner. My kids (7,4, and 1) gobbled it down, and I think I'll make a double batch next time so we can have leftovers. My husband and I liked it with extra chili sauce on top but I left that off for my youngest two.