Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Lime wedges, optional
- For avocado cream, mash avocado with sour cream and salt until smooth. In a small saucepan, combine beans, pineapple, mango and salsa; heat through, stirring occasionally. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Toss shrimp with jerk seasoning. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide rice and bean mixture among four bowls. Top with shrimp and green onions. Serve with avocado cream and, if desired, lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 498 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 9g fiber), 29g protein.
Apr 19, 2018
Despite the many layers, the flavor was lacking. I think if I make this again I will not add the entire can of black beans. The Jamaican jerk shrimp by itself was very tasty. I didn't have Jamaican jerk seasoning in a bottle but I used a recipe from genius kitchen.
Apr 26, 2017
We really enjoyed this dish, but it did take longer to fix than indicated.
Mar 23, 2017
We liked this one! It was a nice change from the usual. Use coconut oil instead of canola for more island flavor. Does need a bit more flavor but otherwise we'll be making this again.