Caribbean Shrimp & Rice Bowl
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Lime wedges, optional
- For avocado cream, mash avocado with sour cream and salt until smooth. In a small saucepan, combine beans, pineapple, mango and salsa; heat through, stirring occasionally. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Toss shrimp with jerk seasoning. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Divide rice and bean mixture among four bowls. Top with shrimp and green onions. Serve with avocado cream and, if desired, lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 498 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 698mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 9g fiber), 29g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 19, 2018
Despite the many layers, the flavor was lacking. I think if I make this again I will not add the entire can of black beans. The Jamaican jerk shrimp by itself was very tasty. I didn't have Jamaican jerk seasoning in a bottle but I used a recipe from genius kitchen.
Apr 26, 2017
We really enjoyed this dish, but it did take longer to fix than indicated.
Mar 23, 2017
We liked this one! It was a nice change from the usual. Use coconut oil instead of canola for more island flavor. Does need a bit more flavor but otherwise we'll be making this again.