Tropical Chicken Cauliflower Rice Bowls
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating. Grill: 10 min.
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cubed (about 3 cups), divided
- 1/2 cup plain or coconut Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets (about 1/2 small cauliflower)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut or lime wedges, optional
- For marinade, place 1 cup pineapple, yogurt, 2 tablespoons each cilantro and lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes and chili powder in a food processor; process until blended. In a large bowl, toss chicken with marinade; refrigerate, covered, 1-3 hours.
- In a clean food processor, pulse cauliflower until it resembles rice (do not overprocess). In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add cauliflower; cook and stir until lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in 1 cup pineapple and the remaining lime juice and salt; cook, covered, over medium heat until cauliflower is tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in remaining cilantro. Keep warm.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Place chicken on an oiled grill rack over medium heat or in a greased foil-lined 15x10x1-in. pan. Grill, covered, or broil 4 in. from heat until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- To serve, divide cauliflower mixture among 4 bowls. Top with chicken, remaining pineapple and, if desired, coconut and lime wedges.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 325 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 529mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 38g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Apr 27, 2020
Needs a lot of work. I really wanted to like this. Looking at the ingredients I thought it should be a nice light tropical flavor unfortunately it had very little flavor. I am surprised this is test kitchen approved. I made the recipe as directed using the coconut Greek yogurt and fresh pineapple. It was very bland. If I were to make it again, I think I would add pineapple juice to the cauliflower as well as some coconut milk. Unfortunately it just wasn't good enough for me to try again.
Apr 27, 2020
Very bland. Needs more flavor. Stay away from cauli rice and use brown rice.
Jul 18, 2019
This did not taste good. I would not recommend it. The flavor profile of the chicken just wasn't a good blend as directed.
Mar 27, 2019
HORRIBLE!!! I Don’t know how this is “kid approved”. The rice was so bad, do not make it!! Chicken was alright, but do not make the rice!!!