East Coast Shrimp and Lentil Bowls
If you have frozen shrimp, a few seasoning ingredients, bagged spinach and lentils on hand in your pantry, you can make this dish in no time. It’s healthy, but it’s so delicious, nobody needs to know! —Mary kay LaBrie, Clermont, Florida
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- Lemon wedges
- Place first 4 ingredients and 1 tablespoon garlic powder in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 17-20 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with seafood seasoning. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add pepper flakes and remaining garlic powder; cook and stir 30 seconds. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 3-4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice; remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add spinach and nutmeg to pan; cook and stir over medium-high heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- To serve, divide lentils among 4 bowls. Top with shrimp, spinach and onion. Serve with lemon wedges.
Test Kitchen tips