Shrimp Egg Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) small shrimp, rinsed and drained or 1 cup cooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined and chopped
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- For sweet-sour sauce, combine the cornstarch, sugar, pineapple juice, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large skillet, stir-fry the shrimp, bean sprouts, cabbage, onion and carrot in oil until crisp-tender; cool slightly. Stir in pepper and salt. Position egg roll wrappers with a long edge facing you. Spoon 1/4 cup of shrimp mixture on the bottom third of each wrapper. Fold bottom over filling; fold sides over filling toward center. Moisten top edge with water; roll up tightly to seal.
- In a deep saucepan, electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning often. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet-sour sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 176 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jun 7, 2015
This is an excellent recipe, we loved them.
Mar 19, 2010
Bland bland bland. There are no spices in the egg rolls at all. If it weren't for the hot mustard and sweet & sour sauce I would have had to have thrown them all out.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.