Southwestern Seafood Egg Rolls
Scallops, shrimp, spicy seasonings and phyllo dough combine to make these unique egg rolls. Assemble them in the morning, refrigerate, then bake as guests arrive. —Lori Coeling, Hudsonville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1/4 pound uncooked bay scallops
- 1/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 12 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute scallops, shrimp and 1/2 teaspoon garlic in 1 tablespoon oil for 2 minutes or until seafood is opaque. With a slotted spoon, remove from the pan and coarsely chop; set aside.
- In the same skillet, combine the tomato, onion and remaining garlic and oil; simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, cilantro, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in seafood mixture and bread crumbs.
- Cut the phyllo dough into 14x4-1/2-in. strips. Cover with a damp towel until ready to use. Lightly brush one strip with butter. Top with another strip; brush with butter. Place a tablespoonful of seafood mixture near one short side; fold in the long sides and roll up. Brush lightly with butter.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Originally published as Moroccan Baked Phyllo Rolls with Shrimp and Scallops in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.