Southwest Egg Rolls
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash ground cumin
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese or reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 30 wonton wrappers
- Cooking spray
- In a large skillet, saute the spinach, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in oil until tender. Stir in the corn, beans and seasonings; heat through. Remove from the heat. Stir in shredded cheese and cream cheese until melted.
- Position a wonton wrapper with one point toward you. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center of wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with water; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray; lightly coat egg rolls with additional cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 egg roll: 50 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 20, 2017
Excellent! I substituted spicy breakfast sausage cooked and drained and used power greens and added some turmeric! I also used parchment paper to bake them so they were super crunchy! So yum ??
Jan 23, 2017
Really good. Baking makes them a little bit chewy i thought but good and i will make again. Next time i will leave some jalapeno seeds in for abit of heat. Served with sweet and sour the went well together
Feb 25, 2016
Delicious! I halved the cream cheese. I only got 21 out of the recipe, though. I think I will deep fry instead of bake because they were not crispy enough, and I will make a double batch for a party appetizer plate.
Feb 11, 2016
Really delicious. A nice Lenten alternative to fish, too
May 11, 2015
Good, very cheesy. Pretty easy to make. I used jalapeno salsa instead of slicing up jalapenos. They turned out a little bit sweeter than I would have liked.
Apr 19, 2015
Wonderful. Left out the corn due to family preferences but added more pepper and beans to make up for the volume. Next time I may consider decreasing the amount of cream chees a bit.
Oct 11, 2014
These were great, and Weight Watchers friendly! Will make again for sure!
Nov 15, 2013
I love these! I have made them many times for family and friends.
Apr 21, 2013
I made these last night for my family...they couldn't eat them fast enough!!! Fabulous!