Shrimp & Crab Casserole
This is a quick and easy recipe that is truly delicious. The melt in your mouth flavors and different textures are comforting yet elegant. This is a great make-ahead dish, too. Just assemble, cover and refrigerate, than bake when ready. —Jan Bartley, Evergreen, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (8.8 ounces each) ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread rice into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in seafood seasoning, salt, pepper sauce and pepper. Fold in shrimp and crab. Spoon over rice. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, covered 40-45 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Let stand 5 minutes. To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare recipe as directed, cooling sauce slightly before adding shrimp and crab. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Originally published as Shrimp & Crab Casserole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.