Special Seafood Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons sherry or apple juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (6 ounces) crab
- 1 can (14 ounces) water-packed artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed, chopped and patted dry
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, saute scallops, onion and celery in butter until scallops are firm and opaque. Stir in flour until blended. Add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheddar cheese, sherry, salt and cayenne, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer the shrimp, crab, artichokes and water chestnuts. Top with sauce. Sprinkle with almonds and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 518 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated fat), 236mg cholesterol, 894mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 38g protein.
Jun 25, 2019
This recipe is easy but has a lot of steps ...but the finished product is divine! I had a pound of little scallops so used them all. I did make just a little bit more sauce and mixed the shrimp and crab into the sauce before pouring it into the 11x7" pan and topping with the almonds/Parmesan. Next time I'll use a larger pan because it was almost over flowing. Recipe says it serves 6 - I had 3 adults eating it and we hardly made a dent in the pan. It is very rich-I served it with wild rice, leafy greens salad, crescent rolls and it was a lovely meal. I had over half left-over so I've put it in the freezer hoping it will reheat and this time I'll serve it over pasta. If you want a restaurant quality homemade dish this is the one to try!
Sep 21, 2014
Simply scrumptious! This is a "restaurant quality" meal, no doubt!!! I served it over noodles and fresh asparagus and followed through with the wine recommendation, chardonnay. This is the meal you make when you want to really impress someone or celebrate a special time at home.