Florida Seafood Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped cooked peeled shrimp
- 1 cup crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, shrimp, crab, water chestnuts, lemon juice, pimientos, parsley and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 3, 2012
this tasted good.I felt it needed a little more liquid because it came out a little on the dry side.
May 8, 2011
Fabulous! I sauted the onion and shrimp and scallops (frozen, but defrosted) with Old Bay and I threw in a package of crab not that imitation stuff. I squeezed on Lemon. I did not use flour. I had a jar of leftover Alfredo sauce which i poured all ove the seafood. Threw in a few peas with the water chestnuts. Used cooked rice pilaf and Orzo and threw all in a baking dish for 20 minutes. This is soooooooooooo good!!
Jan 8, 2011
Good thing I taste tested first -- No flavor only a small amount of salt & pepper - very bland. However, I added 1-2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning and WOW we all really loved it. NOW, I will make again!
Oct 12, 2009
EXCELLENT! Very yummy, a nice change of pace.
Apr 9, 2008
Better picture in my documents - Recipes
Feb 26, 2008
This lovely casserole is a real winner for seafood lovers. I've made it several times when we've had guests who then requested the recipe. One time my husband and I were dinner guests where the hosts served the same recipe because it had been passed from friend to friend among our group -- a really good recipe gets around!