Florida Seafood Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 cup chopped cooked peeled shrimp
- 1 cup crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimientos
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the rice, shrimp, crab, water chestnuts, lemon juice, pimientos, parsley and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 372 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 3, 2012
this tasted good.I felt it needed a little more liquid because it came out a little on the dry side.
May 8, 2011
Fabulous! I sauted the onion and shrimp and scallops (frozen, but defrosted) with Old Bay and I threw in a package of crab not that imitation stuff. I squeezed on Lemon. I did not use flour. I had a jar of leftover Alfredo sauce which i poured all ove the seafood. Threw in a few peas with the water chestnuts. Used cooked rice pilaf and Orzo and threw all in a baking dish for 20 minutes. This is soooooooooooo good!!
Jan 8, 2011
Good thing I taste tested first -- No flavor only a small amount of salt & pepper - very bland. However, I added 1-2 teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning and WOW we all really loved it. NOW, I will make again!
Oct 12, 2009
EXCELLENT! Very yummy, a nice change of pace.
Apr 9, 2008
Better picture in my documents - Recipes
Feb 26, 2008
This lovely casserole is a real winner for seafood lovers. I've made it several times when we've had guests who then requested the recipe. One time my husband and I were dinner guests where the hosts served the same recipe because it had been passed from friend to friend among our group -- a really good recipe gets around!