Pasta Crab Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
Makes2 casseroles (3-4 servings each)
- 8 ounces uncooked spiral pasta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound imitation crabmeat, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Drain pasta; add to vegetable mixture. Stir in the crab, sour cream, salt and basil.
- Transfer to two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 minutes longer.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 363 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 1002mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Apr 6, 2018
I made this with egg noodles because it's what I had on hand, I also used a can of Cream of Mushroom soup in place of the sauteed mushrooms.I took the advice of a few others and used strips of bell pepper and onion rather than minced, and increased the amount of garlic. I also added 2 tsp of basil oil in addition to the basil called for, added 1/4 cup shredded spinach, and topped with Swiss and Mild Cheddar cheeses.It was absolutely delicious, rich but not overpowering, and pleasantly filling. I'm not usually a fan of seafood, but I loved this almost as much as Crab Rangoon.We had this as a 'quick-light dinner' with yeast rolls. Fantastic with steamed veggies or a nice salad on the side.I will most certainly make this again.
Jun 26, 2017
It's ok as is for my taste, and my guy liked it ok, but if I make it again there's some changes I'd make. It mostly just seemed like oily noodles. I'd make sure to cut the veggies bigger, I cut the onion and green pepper a bit small and they disappeared. My garlic was weak, so I'd use more. I would flat out double the mushrooms, I like them. I'd cut the butter in half and use a light sour cream, but I'd double it. The biggest change I'd make is to up the seafood flavor with Asian fish sauce. I used it as a condiment on my portion and a scant few drops made it seem like it was rich with seafood flavor. If anyone else tries this and is unfamiliar with fish sauce, please be aware that you really only do need a few drops and if some of the eaters don't like stronger seafood flavor, then just use it as a condiment.
Apr 17, 2017
My son and I thoroughly enjoyed this casserole. I used real crab meat instead of the the imitation. This is a keeper for us.
Feb 27, 2017
Good recipe except for the onions. I think they may have misprinted. 1 medium onion is plenty for our tastes. A nice quick meal!
Jan 28, 2016
This is a very good casserole & quick to make. I've made it several times. I also agree that 2 onions are too much. 1 is plenty.
Dec 30, 2014
I've made this a couple of times and my family likes it. Instead of making 2 casseroles, I just put it in a 9" x 13" dish. I like a traditional mac and cheese, but this is nice for a change.
Jun 19, 2013
made this last nite it was terrible as waste of good crab meat i doubled the recipe and thinking it would be good only to throw it out
Mar 5, 2012
This was very quick and easy to make.
Feb 24, 2012
I made this recipe almost exactly as written the first time I tried it, only using less onion. Two large onions is WAY too much. As I suspected, 8 ounces of pasta for two casseroles was WAY too little. The second time I used a pound box of pasta. I think it worked much better!! Other than that, my family loves this recipe. The imitation crabmeat often goes on sale buy one get one free around here, so now I always grab it and eagerly look forward to this meal!!
Nov 3, 2011
This was very good and easy to make. I substituted roasted red pepper for the green pepper and used imitation crab.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.