Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the bouillon, cream, crab, mushrooms, basil, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with remaining Creole seasoning and pepper if desired.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
Jan 2, 2017
I have been looking for a good bisque recipe since I had it on a trip lately. This was just what I was looking for. This has great flavor and was simple to make.
Jan 21, 2015
This was a delicious seafood recipe. I substituted imitation crab for the crabmeat & it worked very well. Left out the mushrooms only because I didn't have any on hand. Also, put the full amount of Cajun seasoning in the bisque while cooking & my family loved it. In fact, I'd say it's the seasonings that give this bisque its unique flavor! Will definitely make again.
Jan 7, 2014
This bisque is phenomenal - every bit as good as any I've tasted in all of the seafood restaurants I love to visit in my travels. And very easy to make!
Apr 24, 2013
This bisque is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I left out the mushrooms, but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written. As good as any restaurant crab bisque - maybe even better. This recipe goes in my "keeper" file and I will make it many times again, I'm sure.
Mar 22, 2013
Delicious! This coverts well to gluten and dairy free. I had left over crab stuffed mushrooms that weren't fresh enough to eat but didn't want to throw them out. I just made the rest of the soup with 3.5 cups of almond milk to substitute the whole milk & cream & gluten free flour. Then I blended the whole thing and it came out super thick and creamy - didn't miss the cream at all!
Apr 25, 2010
This was an excellent recipe. I've made it twice. The first time I followed the directions. The second time, I substituted the crabmeat for lobster. Although it was a little pricier, I thought it was even better!