Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the bouillon, cream, crab, mushrooms, basil, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with remaining Creole seasoning and pepper if desired.
Editor's NoteThe following spices may be substituted for 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning: 1/4 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and paprika; and a pinch each of dried thyme, ground cumin and cayenne pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 355 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 849mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 21, 2019
Jan 2, 2017
I have been looking for a good bisque recipe since I had it on a trip lately. This was just what I was looking for. This has great flavor and was simple to make.
Jan 21, 2015
This was a delicious seafood recipe. I substituted imitation crab for the crabmeat & it worked very well. Left out the mushrooms only because I didn't have any on hand. Also, put the full amount of Cajun seasoning in the bisque while cooking & my family loved it. In fact, I'd say it's the seasonings that give this bisque its unique flavor! Will definitely make again.
Jan 7, 2014
This bisque is phenomenal - every bit as good as any I've tasted in all of the seafood restaurants I love to visit in my travels. And very easy to make!
Apr 24, 2013
This bisque is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS!!! I left out the mushrooms, but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written. As good as any restaurant crab bisque - maybe even better. This recipe goes in my "keeper" file and I will make it many times again, I'm sure.
Mar 22, 2013
Delicious! This coverts well to gluten and dairy free. I had left over crab stuffed mushrooms that weren't fresh enough to eat but didn't want to throw them out. I just made the rest of the soup with 3.5 cups of almond milk to substitute the whole milk & cream & gluten free flour. Then I blended the whole thing and it came out super thick and creamy - didn't miss the cream at all!
Apr 25, 2010
This was an excellent recipe. I've made it twice. The first time I followed the directions. The second time, I substituted the crabmeat for lobster. Although it was a little pricier, I thought it was even better!