Mushroom Shrimp Bisque
This comforting recipe was born out of my family's love for seafood. For many years I tried to make a restaurant-quality bisque, and I finally got it right. Now it makes an appearance at every holiday. —Deirdre Conley, Yorktown Heights, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each ) chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and green onions; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour and paprika; cook and stir until well coated. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring often. Gradually stir in cream and shrimp; cook 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Sprinkle with parsley.
Originally published as Dee's Shrimp Bisque in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017