Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro, cubed avocado and additonal shrimp, optional
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended. Stir in the water, cream, chili powder, bouillon, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Gradually stir 1/2 cup hot soup into sour cream; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cilantro, avocado and additional shrimp if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 334 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Nov 9, 2019
Excellent, My wife says its better than her favorite restaurant to get it (and cheaper). Only thing I tweaked was boiling shells with water, and using half water half vegetable stock. I also use 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like a little heat on back of tongue) and a level teaspoon old bay seasoning. ( I also combine 50/50 heavy cream and fat free half and half to cut fat and calories)
Jul 24, 2019
Delicious with following adjustments. I had cooked shrimp so I peeled and then covered the shells with water and brought to low boil while I prepared the other ingredients. This made 3 cups of broth and I couldn't bear to throw it out so I added all three cups to the onions and flour. Then I added 1 cup of half and half to it instead of half cup. I did not have any coriander so omitted that. This easily made 3 servings and my picky son even ate it and enjoyed it. Will make again!
Apr 21, 2015
WOW! This was fantastic!! It really only makes two servings though, so be sure to double it if you want any more than that! Again... WOW!!
Dec 31, 2014
I MADE THIS FOR MY FAMILY AND GUEST AND THEY RAVED ABOUT IT. IT WAS EASY AND THE FLAVOR WAS GREAT.
May 28, 2014
Wow.....this is amazing! You will definitely want to double the recipe because 1 servings won't be enough!!
Dec 28, 2013
Loved it! After browning onion and garlic, I pureed with a can of diced tomatoes, skipped the flour and simmered for 30 min with spices then added chopped cooked shrimp and left over chunky guacamole.
Oct 27, 2013
I thought this sounded pretty good when I read over the recipe. When I tasted it though, let me tell you - I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. It is AMAZING!!! Definitely deserves to be served for a special holiday meal or some other special occasion. YUM.
Dec 29, 2012
I the recipe exactly as shown and it got rave reviews from my entire family. I'll definitely make it again, but next time I'll double it!
Oct 15, 2012
I made this to take to a Girls Ceasar Salad Night and it was a huge hit! I let my 17 yr. old son try it before I left and he said that it was the best soup he had ever eaten. Needless to say he was less than thrilled that I left the house with it for others to indulge. The only changes I made were instead of using the whipping cream, full sour cream and uncooked shrimp, I did use half and half, light sour cream and cooked shrimp which I threw in towards the end just to heat up. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!
Apr 1, 2012
I did not add the chili powder. My husband asked to have it again. Very good.