Spicy Seafood Bisque
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes10-12 servings (about 3 quarts)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta or elbow macaroni
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the broth, tomato juice, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Add pasta to the soup; cook, uncovered, until pasta is tender. Add shrimp and crab; simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 105 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 24, 2014
I have also been making this bisque for years...we love it.
Nov 29, 2013
I've been making this soup for years (Since finding this delicious recipe in my TOH magazine!).It never disappoints. Croutons make a tasty garnish.
Apr 21, 2013
This is one of my favorite soups. When I want to splurge, I use "real," chopped crabmeat, rather than the canned.
Jan 3, 2012
I've made this time and time again. One of my favorite recipes. I usually omit the crab, still turns out great. Easy to make and full of flavor.
Dec 9, 2009
This soup is very tasty - a good meal on a cold evening. It's quick and easy to make, also.
Dec 19, 2008
We love this. I prepare the soup the night before, then add the pasta, shrimp and crab after work the following day.