Chicken Shrimp Creole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 bacon strips
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute the chicken, onion, green pepper and celery in drippings for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and reserved bacon; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 25, 2010
My husband and I liked this recipe. It doesn't produce much of a "sauce" but has a great flavor for being a lighter entree. I even left out the hot pepper sauce. I halved it for the two of us but plan to make it again soon with the leftover tomatoes.