Chicken Shrimp Creole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 bacon strips
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute the chicken, onion, green pepper and celery in drippings for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and reserved bacon; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 272 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 25, 2010
My husband and I liked this recipe. It doesn't produce much of a "sauce" but has a great flavor for being a lighter entree. I even left out the hot pepper sauce. I halved it for the two of us but plan to make it again soon with the leftover tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.