Crab-Spinach Egg Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and cream. Stir in the crab, spinach, bread crumbs, cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg; set aside. In a skillet, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add to the spinach mixture.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 163 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 141mg cholesterol, 265mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 22, 2019
Is this dry cubed bread crumbs from a loaf that you let dry out or the fine crumbs you buy in the containers?
Nov 17, 2019
This looks really good. Easily cut in half as I am a widow. But seems kind of an overpowering combination for crab meat (I love crab) and 3 mushrooms? Really? Must have more shrooms! LOL! Will try as is, but may be a good candidate for imitation crab meat! (don't shoot me. The imitation stuff DOES have places to go! LOL! Have a fabulous crab dip that you MUST use imitation. The real stuff is too delicate!)
Apr 21, 2014
Made this for Easter Brunch; excellent - family loved it! The only thing I changed was the crab; I used fresh shelled snow crab instead of canned and more of it than the recipe called for. I will, for sure, make this again.
Jul 5, 2013
by skipping the cheese and bread crumbs and changing the half/half to skim milk, I lowered the glycemic index. Delicious with a capital D
Feb 15, 2012
We made this for a brunch and it was a huge hit! Cook time took a little extra in our oven, but it was easy to throw together and great as leftovers too. We used italian bread crumbs as that was all we had in the house - Yummy!
Mar 9, 2009
this is so good, I have family members with fish allergies so I subsitute asparagus or broccoli instead of