White Bean, Sweet Potato & Pepper Ragout
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir peppers in oil until tender. Add the sweet potato and rosemary; cook for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in water and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and salt; heat through.
- Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen ragout: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 286 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 551mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 13g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 7, 2011
Looks a lot better in the picture. We didn't care for this. Not enough flavor.
Oct 26, 2010
To give more flavor, I added a can of Italian diced tomatoes, 1/4 tsp of oregano & 1/4 tsp of crushed fennel seeds. Will definitely make again!!
Oct 4, 2009
nutritious and easy to make, but needed more flavor
Mar 14, 2009
I love this recipe. I've never like sweet potatoes because they are always served with brown sugar and marshmallow. This is a great dish for those who aren't usually big sweet potato fans.