Black Bean-Sweet Potato Skillet
My fiancé loves sweet potatoes. By adding black beans, I came up with a nutritionally complete main dish. Its bright orange and black color makes it fun for Halloween. —April Strevell, Red Bank, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the beans, sweet potatoes, broth, chipotle, pepper and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until potatoes are very tender and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions. Serve with black bean mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup black bean mixture with 1/2 cup couscous : 294 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 10g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Saute in Country Woman October/November 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.