Sweet Potato and Egg Skillet
I try to incorporate nutritious sweet potatoes in my meals as often as possible, especially with breakfast! This recipe originated with the purpose of feeding my family a healthy, hearty breakfast... and it worked! —Jeanne Larson, Mission Viejo, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat butter over low heat. Add sweet potatoes, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and thyme; cook, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- With the back of a spoon, make four wells in potato mixture. Break an egg in each well. Sprinkle eggs with pepper and remaining salt. Cook, covered, on medium-low until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 5-7 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: With the sweet potatoes and spinach, this dish meets the daily requirement for vitamin A.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 224 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Egg Frittata in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.