Sweet Potato and Egg Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat the butter over low heat. Add sweet potatoes, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and thyme; cook, covered, until potatoes are almost tender, 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach just until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
- With the back of a spoon, make 4 wells in potato mixture. Break an egg into each well. Sprinkle eggs with pepper and remaining salt. Cook, covered, on medium-low until egg whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 5-7 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Health tip: With the sweet potatoes and spinach, this dish meets the daily requirement for vitamin A.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 224 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 201mg cholesterol, 433mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 medium-fat meat.
Oct 16, 2019
This was so yummy! I added a diced onion-soo good!
Apr 17, 2019
Tasted good- didn’t use butter, only spray, to save calories.
Jan 28, 2019
My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this breakfast skillet! I added extra thyme and garlic, and cooked the potatoes just until they started to get a little crispy. I can't wait to make it again!
Dec 24, 2018
This is really healthy but it just isn't very tasty. It's not BAD, it just isn't delicious. Bacon or chopped ham would help and so would sauted onions. If you cover the pan to finish the eggs they cook fast - less that 4 minutes.