Sweet Corn and Potato Gratin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Stir in potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir until potatoes are crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in corn and cream-style corn. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake until golden brown and potatoes are tender, 45-50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 213 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 7, 2018
After reading the reviews I added another small step to the recipe. I cooked the potato slices in water till barely tender while I made the sauce. Drained the potatoes and then lightly mixed all the ingredients except the panko which i didn't have, so I used Ritz crackers. No crunchy potatoes and creamy. Adults and grandkids ate it up. I'm going to triple the recipe for a church potluck.
Apr 8, 2015
My husband really enjoyed this dish, citing that he liked it better than the normal cheesy potato dishes usually served for holidays. I thought it was decent and will probably make it again. One tip: don't skimp on the potato boiling time! We have slightly crunchy potatoes as I was concerned there wasn't enough moisture in the dish... whoops.
Dec 22, 2011
Great side dish. The only thing I would change next time is to add an extra can of cream corn and reduce the plain corn by one cup. We would like it a bit creamier.
Oct 22, 2011
This is amazing! My family loved it and demanded it become a regular weekend side.