Sweet Corn and Potato Gratin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Stir in potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are crisp-tender.
- Stir in corn and cream-style corn. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 213 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
May 7, 2018
After reading the reviews I added another small step to the recipe. I cooked the potato slices in water till barely tender while I made the sauce. Drained the potatoes and then lightly mixed all the ingredients except the panko which i didn't have, so I used Ritz crackers. No crunchy potatoes and creamy. Adults and grandkids ate it up. I'm going to triple the recipe for a church potluck.
Apr 8, 2015
My husband really enjoyed this dish, citing that he liked it better than the normal cheesy potato dishes usually served for holidays. I thought it was decent and will probably make it again. One tip: don't skimp on the potato boiling time! We have slightly crunchy potatoes as I was concerned there wasn't enough moisture in the dish... whoops.
Dec 22, 2011
Great side dish. The only thing I would change next time is to add an extra can of cream corn and reduce the plain corn by one cup. We would like it a bit creamier.
Oct 22, 2011
This is amazing! My family loved it and demanded it become a regular weekend side.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.