Mashed Cauliflower au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 large heads cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Italian-style panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cauliflower in a stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until very tender, 10-12 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Mash cauliflower; stir in cheeses, cubed butter and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. or 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix bread crumbs and melted butter until evenly coated; sprinkle over cauliflower mixture. Bake, uncovered, until heated through and topping is golden brown, 40-50 minutes. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 238 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
The dish was easy, perfect and delicious. Not watery as reviews mentioned. Was the perfect size for any potluck or family dinner. Will be making this again.
May 28, 2018
The taste of the dish itself was ok but it was very watery. The cauliflower leaches water into the casserole and makes it watery and dilutes the flavors. I think if I roasted the cauliflower in the oven instead of blanching it in a stockpot, the dish may have turned out better.
Dec 6, 2017
Jul 3, 2016
Excellent! I did not have the steak seasoning. Very cheesy. My husband doesn't like cauliflower and he thought this was good!
Mar 29, 2016
made this for Easter dinner. it was a great hit. next time I will adjust the cheese levels to make it a bit healthier. Not sure if I had small heads (they were average in store) but definitely would not have served 12
Sep 12, 2015
Yum! Cheesy delicious way to serve a vegetable. Not the healthiest, but oh so yummy!
Apr 2, 2015
Mmmm - great combination. I put in three dollops of organic sour cream, 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic, moistened with 1/2 cup cooking water, 1 cup grated Parmesan & skipping the bread crumbs. Putting the cheese combo on top to bake.
Mar 15, 2015
This was very good. I didn't have the steak seasoning or the garlic salt so I just added salt and pepper. I will definitely make this again.
Nov 25, 2014
we loved it
Mar 24, 2014
Excellent! The whole family loved it.