Cauliflower Parmesan Casserole
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Place 1 in. of water in a Dutch oven; add cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 4-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Place cauliflower in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over top.
- For topping, combine the bread crumbs, butter and paprika. Sprinkle over sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 142 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Oct 3, 2014
This was disappointing. It was beyond bland even after adding more salt and even adding garlic. I'm sure I'll end up throwing this away.
Apr 9, 2012
Followed the recipe precisely, easy to make. It tasted ok, just a bit bland. I will definitely make this again, but will add more S&P and ground mustard, and will probably add some garlic for sure!
Jan 25, 2012
I made only a half a batch because there are only 2 in household. I didn't any other changes and it was very good.
Nov 26, 2011
Excellent AND easy. I cubed some whole wheat toast for the croutons.
Jul 25, 2011
Excellent taste and everyone loved it. I made it in the microwave in a covered stone cooker due to conflicts with the oven and it turned out great.
Jun 4, 2011
Made this for dinner last night. I cut the recipe in half, added salt to the water when cooking the cauliflower and added a little extra salt and ground mustard to the sauce. It was delicious.
Apr 25, 2011
This was such a family hit at Easter, I plan to make it again soon. I used seasoned crushed croutons in place of the bread crumbs. Many of our children thought they were potatoes!
Sep 13, 2010
I made this and it is absolutely the best ever. lost recipe and am so glad I found it again
Nov 28, 2009
best i ever had was a big hit at thanksgivings