- 3 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cauliflower, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water in a Dutch oven; add cauliflower. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add cheese; stir until melted.
- Place cauliflower in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over top.
- For topping, combine the bread crumbs, butter and paprika. Sprinkle over sauce. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
3/4 cup: 142 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 257mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.