Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 18, 2018
I made this with almond milk
Mar 1, 2018
senstrings: Read Test Kitchen Tips below directions. It gives you gluten free suggestions.
Feb 21, 2018
I am just questioning how this soup can be considered gluten free when it uses all-pupose flour (it comes up in the results when I search for GF) ?
Feb 21, 2018
This soup is easy and delicious!!! 5 stars
Feb 17, 2018
Great soup very easy made a couple changes for personal preference. Used coconut milk and skipped the cheese. Used half veggie broth plus the bullion. It was fabulous
Feb 16, 2018
I stumbled upon this recipe and made it because I needed to cook a cauliflower. This soup is absolutely Delicious!!!!!! So easy to make and all of the ingredients are staples in my pantry. I will be making this again and again!!!
Feb 12, 2018
I made this and really enjoyed it. I had to sub out a few things though. If you are unlucky like me and did not have any type of broth on hand, you can use a couple cups of water with a couple tbsp of melted butter added to mimic the fats in broth. Then, i added a few seasonings to the mixture to taste : cardamom, turmeric, nutmeg, white pepper and a dash of salt. I also begun with some chopped onion and 2 cloves of garlic (just preference) . I also did not have carrots, but used frozen butternut squash in its place. Next time if i have more time, I will roast my vegetables.
Feb 7, 2018
I was a bit disappointed because of the outstanding reviews. The ingredients weren’t anything special and that is what I got. My changes were that I precooked the cauliflower by roasting it before adding it to the broth after the other vegetables were cooked. I also used the Smokey hot sauce for more flavor. I will be “doctoring” the leftovers as I serve it.
Feb 1, 2018
Very quick and simple to make. Delicious!
Jan 31, 2018
I made this soup the other night for supper & it was a big hit! Quick & easy to make & full of flavor! Will make it very often. Didn't change a thing.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.