Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2018
Made this last night. Very easy. Made it substituting 2 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth for the water and bouillon. And served it with hot pepper sauce on side. A great basic recipe, but definitely needed the hot pepper sauce as it was bland. Will make again but definitely with adjustments to up seasoning. Thanks Debbie
Nov 8, 2018
Great soup. I did exactly as the recipe stated. It was delicious. The next time I make it i will add some chopped roasted green chilies in it. Ima green chilei nut
Nov 4, 2018
OMG made this yesterday and only different I did was add some leftover ham in the begining and it was the very best cauliflower soup I ever had. Soooooo easy to make, little time and the taste is unbelievable. Going to make it again next week!!
Nov 2, 2018
So easy and good! I substituted broccoli for cauliflower and it was wonderful!
Nov 1, 2018
This soup was amazing!! I added a garlic clove and a potato also increased all ingredients to feed all. I think original amounts were not enough. I will definitely make this again!! Everyone loved it.
Nov 1, 2018
Yum! Made it (not changing anything)
Oct 30, 2018
This soup was easy and delicious. Have to double or triple since my husband couldn't get enough!
Oct 24, 2018
I made a half recipe for taste testing and thought it was very good. I will make it again, but the half recipe only yielded 2 1/2 cups of soup. I did not see where anyone else questioned the quantity. I track all the nutritional data in recipes and this makes it difficult to accept the portions and calorie count shown for the recipe. I double-checked the amount of the ingredients and found I was accurate with that. Anyone else find it does not make the quantity stated?
Oct 18, 2018
Omg... I made this, I did add mushrooms instead of carrots. And i did add smoked paprika but amazing. I'm a vegetarian so this was perfect. I used vegetable broth not water also. I am in love with this and will pass it along. Yummy!
Oct 8, 2018
Very underwhelmed! With all the fabulous reviews I was hoping for so much more. Followed recipe exactly but didn’t have hot sauce..might’ve helped a little but I doubt enough to make me want to make again.