Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 15, 2019
Made this soup and ate almost all of it myself because it taste fantastic.
Oct 14, 2019
I followed directions. It tastes very bland. Very disappointed.
Oct 12, 2019
Loved this soup. Easy to make. Will keep as a favorite soup recipe
Sep 21, 2019
Outstanding... a new family favorite. I did several things differently... by accident. I added 2 Tablespoons of chicken seasoning (Better than Bullion) instead of 2 teaspoons. Knowing that would be salty I didn't add any extra salt. I added 4 Tablespoons butter and flour... instead of 3. And still only used the 2 cups of mile. Added a bit extra cheese and cooked it for about 10 minutes. LOVED it. Not bland at all...
Aug 30, 2019
Love this soup. I just added a bit of shredded onion and coarsely mashed the cauliflower. Thank you.
May 13, 2019
I added more celery and cheese. Also added onions. Coarsely mashed. Excellent.
Apr 28, 2019
The recipe was blend so I ate dried herbs, more salt, onion and garlic powder. After doing that it was amazing
Mar 7, 2019
OMG! Just made this soup for the first time tonight and it is delicious!! Super easy and fast too and given low fat milk, a little butter and cheese, pretty healthy. This will be a new staple!!
Mar 1, 2019
I like this recipe. I followed the recipe as stated except I added 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth instead of bouillon and 2 1/2 cups of water. The broth was pretty thin so I added 4 additional tablespoons of flower mixed it with the broth and added back into the soup. That thickened it up. The taste was a little bland but still good. Next time I may add green chillies! Will make again.
Feb 26, 2019
I love this recipe. However, to make it gluten free, I do not add the milk, butter or flour. Instead, I just leave a couple of large pieces of cauliflower, then when it is done, I remove the large pieces and put them in the blender then add it back to the soup. Voila, cream soup without the gluten. I do add some salt and garlic, as well. I think it is delicious.